I’m in Melbourne and prefer the 6pm Channel 7 News.
Generally it is very good but what I don’t like is:
- stories that are clearly advertising or promotions
- medical breakthroughs (coming in 5-10 years) – almost nightly
- real estate news
- financial markets
- video stories.. often not news
- reporters that don’t have a sense of direction (if in doubt, its North West of Melbourne)
It feels like more and more so-called news is “fill”, specially if its a quiet news day.
What I would like to see:
- Interstate news – before the overseas news, a coverage of any main news stories taking place interstate.
I was most surprised that the recent WA floods hardly ranked a mention. I read that they were the largest body of water moving south in the world and what did we hear in Melbourne.. zip.
- Map Insert (small in corner for 15 seconds) pin pointing where in state / Melbourne the news took place.